Saturday, June 1, 2019

PROMISES - part # 2

Following on from “Promises” Part One…

14 (continued) INT. CAB. NIGHT

Tracy drops into the passenger seat; hand bag in her lap.

MATT
Seatbelt.

Tracy laughs, snaps her seatbelt into place; beams a radiant smile at Matt. As Matt drives off he looks at his watch.

Tracy studies his face.

TRACY
Why'd you change...

Matt holds up his hand; does not want to talk.

TRACY
...your mind? (A BEAT)I need a new mind. (A BEAT) You ever think about swapping your brain with someone else? (A BEAT) I guess not. (A BEAT) You gunna be late?

Matt makes a ‘maybe, maybe not’ gesture.

TRACY 
Sorry.

Matt makes an ‘It’s OK’ gesture.

TRACY 
Let me know when it’s OK to say something, OK? When you don’t feel like hitting the windscreen!

The beginnings of a smile appear on Matt’s face. The beginnings of a smile appear on Tracy’s.

They drive in silence. The mobile in Matt’s pocket (rooster crowing) announces the arrival of a text message. He ignores it.

TRACY 
Is it OK for me to say something yet?
(Matt smiles)
What made you change your mind? Give me a ride?

MATT 
Bad judge of character, I guess.

TRACY
So maybe I’m not a 'runner' even if I look like one?  

MATT
I'll find out soon enough, won’t I?

TRACY
Guess you will. (A BEAT) You get many runners?

MATT
Not too many…but…too many. Had a couple tonight.

TRACY
Two in one night!?

MATT
No, a 'couple'. As is boy and girl. About your age. Lovers.

TRACY
Lovers!

Tracy plays with the silver ring on her finger. Matt notices.

TRACY 
What's love, ay?

MATT
“What’s love got to do with it?”

TRACY(LAUGHS)
Ya know the answer to that one. GQ?

MATT
'Fraid not, Tracy. (A BEAT) I’m Matt by the way.

TRACY
Complex and convoluted, ay, Matt By the Way! Love?
(Matt laughs, looks at her)
What?

MATT(LAUGHS)
Hadn't picked you as someone who would use a word like 'convoluted'.

TRACY
Love it. con-vol-oo-ted...You know how you fall in love with some words?
Mellifluous...I love that word...sounds so...mellifluous Convolve...convolution...convolvulus...you know what that is?

MATT
Convolvulus! A flower, right?

TRACY
Yes, from the Latin 'convolvere'…

MATT(INCREDULOUS)
You do Latin at school!?

TRACY
No, it's a game me and my boyfriend... ex boyfriend...and I play on google - just, you know, searching randomly for...you know, when things just happen by chance. Fate. Whatever. Like you giving me a ride. Serendipity. 
(Winding Matt up)
Or me taking you for a ride!

MATT(LAUGHS)
You got a pause button, Tracy?

TRACY
Nup, just fast forward, Matt By the Way.

The sound of a rooster crowing emanates from Matt’s mobile. He takes it out of his jacket pocket, looks at the screen, puts it back.

MATT
Mind if I ask you a question?

TRACY 
Personal?

MATT 
I guess.

TRACY
'Long as I can ask you one back!

MATT
You were saying your dad doesn't know he's your dad?

TRACY
Not sure if he knows, or doesn't know, you know!  

MATT
You've met him!?

TRACY
A squillion times. I've known him since before I can remember.

MATT(NODS)
How can your dad know you all your life and not know he's your dad?

TRACY
Duh! He's a man! Clueless!  
(Matt smiles)
Do passengers...like...tell taxi drivers all sorts of personal stuff? You know, like secrets and shit?  
(Matt nods)
But if you had a choice, they'd keep their mouths shut, right?

Matt smiles. Tracy zips her mouth shut, pauses a moment before starting up again.  

TRACY 
I guess some people just like to talk about themselves, ay?

Matt looks at his watch, speeds up a little.

MATT
Most people...

Tracy looks out the window thoughtfully, her forehead creased with worry. Matt watches her for a moment.

MATT  
You like to talk about yourself?

Tracy shrugs ('I don't know'), closely followed by a tentative nod ('I guess, maybe!'), closely followed by a shake of the head ('no'). Matt smiles.

MATT  
I don't know...I guess, maybe...and no?

TRACY(LAUGHS)
Okay, yes, because I find myself pretty fascinating. And no because I get bored shitless being fascinated by myself. Know what I mean!?

MATT 
Too much of a good thing?

TRACY
Too much of something. Way too much! You ever get, like, you know, bored with being fascinated by yourself?

MATT  
When I was young...(A BEAT) Maybe.

TRACY
How old are you, Matt? (A BEAT) Old enough to be my dad, I reckon.

MATT
I'm not. (A BEAT) Your dad, I mean. 

Tracy bursts out laughing. Matt smiles.

MATT  
Least, I don't think I am! What's your mum's name?

TRACY
Merily.

MATT
As in Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, gently down the stream?

TRACY
But with only one r. And 'gentle's' not a word I'd use to describe mum!

MATT
Nup, don't remember any Merily. Hang on! Now that I think of it there was one who called herself Merry…

Tracy bursts out laughing. Matt  laughs; enjoying himself.

TRACY
Can you remember all the women you've slept with?

Matt raises his eyebrows; doesn't answer.

TRACY 
Maybe there's a little Matt out there somewhere with your genes. Or a little Matilda. Wondering who her dad is. You ever think about that?

Matt shakes his head, looks at Tracy, her self-confident banter is now tinged with vulnerability.

TRACY  
What would you do if a young woman turned up on your front doorstep one day and said, “Hey, dad!”?… Would you be...like...all excited or would you be more like...“Oh shit!”?

MATT
A young girl like you? (A BEAT) Young woman?

Tracy bites her lip nervously, shrugs. Matt looks at her. She becomes self-conscious.

TRACY
Tell me about your daughter. What's her name?

MATT
Juliet.

TRACY
As in Romeo and…?

MATT
As in…(A BEAT) About your age.

TRACY
No way! (A BEAT) You and her mum are not together, right?

Matt shakes his head.

MATT
No, they live in Melbourne.

TRACY
Do you love her? More than anything in the whole wide world? (A BEAT) Sorry. (A BEAT) None of my business. (A BEAT) But do you?

MATT
Yes.

TRACY
She's lucky, ay?

Matt hesitates a moment before answering.

MATT
I guess…

TRACY
Don't suppose you want another daughter, ay? Slightly used but still in pretty good shape?

The muffled sound of a rooster crowing again. Matt ignores it. Tracy's attention focuses on the ringing phone.

TRACY
What if it's to tell you you've won Lotto? And you miss out on...?

MATT
You still at school?

TRACY
Another year or so.

MATT
Good student?

TRACY
Not 'good', but I do well in exams.

MATT
Any idea what you want to do when…?

TRACY
…I grow up. Actress. I think. Yeah… actress! Be so cool to get paid pretending to be someone else. 
(Matt looks at her; smiles)
Reckon I'd make a good actress?

MATT
Yeah, but...you're so full of questions I was thinking…maybe…journalist, private eye…therapist…

TRACY(LAUGHS) 
Shrink! That'd be a joke! 
(Tracy thinks a moment)
Wanna know why?

MATT 
You're going to tell me anyway, right?

TRACY
When I was 13 my mum sent me to see a therapist. I called her The Rapist. 
(Matt is confused)
That's from ‘Lolita’.

MATT 
Lolita?

TRACY 
Nabokov.

MATT
You've lost me. Who's Nabakov?

TRACY
You've seen the film Lolita, right?

MATT
Long time ago.

TRACY
From a novel by a guy called Nabakov.

MATT(NODS)
OK.

TRACY
And Lolita, who’s only 12 but fully sexual, know what I mean? She starts fucking a 37 year old guy called Humberto Humbert... about your age. Old fart!

MATT 
Mmmm...

TRACY 
"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin. My soul.” That's how the story starts.

MATT
How does it end?

TRACY 
She dumps him and...I won’t give away the ending but they don’t walk off into the sunset together. That’s love, ay?

MATT(SMILES)
Lolita!

TRACY
Lolita. (A BEAT) But she didn't get anywhere with me…The Rapist…so then mum sent me to see The Shrink. And she's not getting anywhere either.

MATT
Why do you need to see a shrink?

TRACY
Well The Rapist thought it was pathological and The Shrink thinks it's just obsessive-compulsive.

MATT
What is?

TRACY
I'm a nymphomaniac.

Matt is not quite sure how to respond to this revelation.

TRACY 
You can turn the meter off if you want?

Tracy, her eyes on Matt, moves her hands to the front hook holding the two halves of her bustier in place.

Matt looks at her. It is difficult to read his mind.

She starts to unhook her bustier. Matt watches her hands.

The beginnings of a smile appear at the edges of Tracy's lips; her smile broadening quickly into a laugh.

TRACY  
I'm not a nymphomaniac. Promise. I'm a pathological liar. At least that's what The Rapist thought. The Shrink thinks its just compulsive.

MATT
There's a difference?

TRACY
Mega.

MATT
So you can't stop yourself lying?

TRACY
If I want to. It's just mostly I don't want to.

MATT
What kind of lies?

TRACY
Oh, telling taxi drivers that I've lost my wallet...that I'm a nymphomaniac.

MATT
So, you haven't lost your wallet? And you're not a nymphomaniac?

TRACY
No, one of those is not a lie.

MATT
Which one?

TRACY
If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

MATT
Because you're a pathological liar?

TRACY(GRINS)
Right.

Matt looks at her, smiles, shakes his head.

TRACY   
If I lived in Cronulla, would you've given me a ride? Even if you thought I was going to do a runner?

MATT
Probably.

TRACY 
So it's not losing eighty bucks worries you most, ay?

MATT
Nah! I'm a millionaire, driving a taxi for fun.

TRACY   
Lucky you got a fun-loving passenger.

MATT
Who shouldn't be out looking for fun at this time of night.

TRACY(SMILES)
Yes dad! (A BEAT) So, what are you looking for late at night, GQ?

MATT
A good night's sleep. Peace of mind.

TRACY
I guess that's an age thing, right? Plenty of time for sleeping when you're dead, ay? 
(Matt raises his eyebrows; smiles)
You think a lot about being dead? 
(Matt shakes his head)
D'ya reckon it'd be worse being boiled alive in oil or bitten to death slowly by carnivorous ants?
(Matt laughs)
Or being stuck in a taxi with a motor-mouth like me?

MATT
I reckon the boiling oil'd be less painful.

Tracy laughs. Again, the muffled sound of a rooster crowing emanates from Matt's jacket pocket.

TRACY
I don't want to be rude or nothing, but seems like you've got cock in your pocket that wants to get out.

MATT   
It's a rooster.

TRACY
What ya doing with a rooster in ya pocket? Ya not going to let it out?

MATT
How old are you, Tracy?

TRACY
Old enough for you to not get into trouble if you let your...rooster out!
(She places her hand on his thigh)
You ever get girls...women...you know, offering to pay their fare with sexual favours?

Matt looks down at Tracy’s hand on his thigh; then directly into her eyes. 

MATT
You make a habit of talking to taxi drivers like this?

TRACY
Only when I haven't got any money to pay my fare. 

Tracy is unnerved by the directness of Matt’s stare; removes her hand.

TRACY
Just joking, Matt.

MATT
You could get yourself into a lot of trouble joking like that, Tracy.

TRACY
Yay! Trouble rules, ay! (A BEAT) But if I wasn't joking, would you be able to resist...the temptation?  

Matt looks at her, his face giving nothing away.

TRACY  
Has it ever happened to you? (A BEAT) What would you do if a young woman offered...?

MATT
Don't, Tracy! You talk this way with total strangers, dressed like that…

TRACY(ANGRY) 
You’re not my fucking father.

Matt holds up his hands: “OK”. Tracy looks out the window, plays with her hair nervously. Matt watches her.

TRACY  
Sorry, but…I've had a shit night.

MATT
Me too.

TRACY
Bet mine was shittier than yours.

MATT
Mine's been pretty shitty!

TRACY
Even before I got in? (A BEAT) You probably think I'm mad, ay?

MATT  
As a cut snake.

TRACY
Really?

MATT  
No, a little unusual, maybe…

TRACY(DELIGHTED)
Loveable?
(Matt smiles)
My friends think I'm peculiar. At least I think they do, but its heaps hard to know what other people really think, ay? And just coz they say they think something doesn't mean they do, know what I mean!

MATT
You think you're peculiar?

TRACY(SHRUGS) 
Don't feel peculiar. I just feel...me.

MATT
It's everybody else that's peculiar?

TRACY
Yes.

MATT
So, how's your night been shitty?

TRACY
You want the full story or the twitter version?

MATT
Twitter.

The muffled sound of a rooster crowing emanates from Matt's sport's jacket pocket again.  

TRACY
Who's driving you crazy this time of night apart from me? (A BEAT) Juliet?

Matt does not want to pursue this line of conversation. Tracy mimics Matt’s deep voice.

TRACY
“I’m doing the best I can here, Jules, but I’m not psychic.”

Matt smiles, shakes his head. Tracy zips her mouth shut, looks at the pocket of Matt's jacket.

The ringing stops. Suddenly Tracy leans over, reaches into the pocket of Matt's jacket, extracts his mobile.

TRACY  
Hey, same as mine.

MATT(ANNOYED)
Give it to me, Tracy!

Matt reaches for his mobile. Tracy slides out of reach, holds up her mobile in one hand, Matt's in the other: Identical.

MATT(ANGRY)  
I'm serious. Give it to me.

Tracy laughs, shakes her head, looks at the LCD screen.

TRACY
It is Juliet!

Matt reaches his hand out towards her.

MATT
Give it to me, Tracy!

Tracy reads from the screen: 

TRACY
‘I'm sorry I hung up on you.’
(She turns to Matt)
Why did she hang up on you?

MATT(FIRM)
Give. It. To. Me.

TRACY(READS)
‘I want to ask you something...important.’
(Matt reacts with shock)
That's one minute ago. Five minutes ago...
(She reads)
'Please dad, talk to me’. ‘I need to talk to you...’ Hello! Juliet needs…

Matt holds out his hand, snaps angrily at her.

MATT
Give me the fucking phone…

Tracy slides further out of his reach, continues reading:

TRACY
‘...about something important.’ Your daughter has something important to ask you in the middle of the night  and you don't want to know...

Matt swerves on the road as he reaches out to grab his phone. The cab screeches to a halt. 
Tracy, oblivious to being thrown up against the dash when the car suddenly stops, ploughs on:

TRACY  
Twenty minutes ago.
(She reads)
‘I’m sorry...’

Matt, a little out of control, wrestles with Tracy to get his phone back. He succeeds, but his grip is not firm. It drops to the floor - along with Tracy's phone and her hand bag.

Tracy is shocked by this moment of anger in Matt. So is he.  

MATT
I'm sorry, Tracy. I shouldn’t...but you...

Tears well in her eyes.

TRACY
What if Juliet's in trouble?

In a highly emotional state Tracy picks her hand bag up from the floor, puts into it the items that have fallen out, including the knife, which Matt catches a glimpse of.

TRACY  
What if she feels she can't cope?  If she needs her daddy?

Tracy's eyes fill with tears as she retrieves her mobile.

TRACY 
Why are you driving me home when Juliet needs you?

Matt wants to say something, but he is at a loss what! He reaches out to her. Tracy recoils, holds up her hands.

TRACY  
Fuck off!

She opens the door, gets out of the cab.

MATT
Don't! Please, Tracy!

Tracy walks away from the cab. Matt opens his door.

13 EXT. CAB. ROADSIDE. NIGHT

Tracy walks fast from streetlight into shadow. Matt runs after her, stops, calls out.

MATT
Please! I'm sorry, Tracy. You don’t need to (run away)...I’m not going to...

She stops, turns, looks at Matt from the shadows, expecting something. Matt shakes his head. He doesn’t understand what is going on; is in unchartered emotional territory.

MATT  
I don't know...I'm so fucking...I don't know...lost!? Juliet is... me and Jules...oh, fuck! I need...want...

He cannot articulate what he needs; wants.

Tracy stands immobile in the shadows. Frozen. Looking at Matt. Silence. Then the soft sound of Tracy crying.

MATT  
Tracy?

He takes a tentative step towards her. Then another. He is close to her now. 

She steps out of the shadows; looks up at him, her eyes filled with her need. She leans toward Matt. He opens his arms. She falls into them, holds him tight. 

Matt's face is a battleground of emotions.

Suddenly Tracy yelps like a wounded animal, pushes him away, turns and run off. Matt shouts after her.

MATT  
Please...Juliet...

She is gone. Matt stands alone in the dark, shaking. He tries to control his deep rapid breathing; puts his wounded hand on his heart; his knuckles bleeding again.

Crestfallen, he walks back to the cab, around to the driver's side, looks at the crack in the window. It has grown a couple of inches and now has three small branches; tributaries. He looks at his watch, lets out a deep frustrated sigh; looks out into the darkness for a long moment; reaches into his pocket for his mobile. It is not there.

Matt remembers, moves to the open passenger door, reaches down and picks it up from the floor.

He sits for a long moment, mobile in hand; waiting for his breathing to return to normal.

He then types 'J' into the keypad. Then 'U'. He pauses. Nothing happens. He types 'L', pauses, then 'I'. He is puzzled now.

The mobile rings, but not the crowing of a rooster! It is the distinctive sound of Tracy's mobile: “I Love You Baby Doll”.

MATT 
Fuck!

He presses the appropriate icon. Onscreen, the frozen image of:

Red-headed Blue, naked, his hands joined to conceal his genitals. The frozen image comes to life.

BLUE
Babe

He opens his arms wide, revealing a codpiece in the shape of an elephant's head - replete with big ears and, of course, a trunk!

BLUE
Love you heaps!

Matt’s shock gives way to incredulous laughter. He looks up at the sky; holds out his arms:

MATT
Why me? Why tonight of all nights?

He laughs, shakes his head, paces up and down by his cab, mobile in hand; thinking. He looks at his watch; punches a phone number into the keypad; waits for his call to be answered.

SERENA’S VOICE(PUZZLED)
Hello!

MATT
It’s me.

SERENA’S VOICE 
Oh! You’re just around the corner, right?

MATT (GRIMACES)
Not quite. Something has come up. I may be...

SERENA’S VOICE 
What kind of something?

Tracy’s mobile rings: “I Love You Baby Doll”.

MATT
Hang on...I’ve got to take this call.

SERENA’S VOICE
Why? Why aren’t you calling from your own phone?

MATT
I lost it...well, not lost, but...

MATT
Call you back in a minute. 
(Silence)
Promise.

SERENA’S VOICE(CAUTIOUS)
Mmmm...OK.

Matt terminates the call; takes the call waiting:

TRACY’S VOICE
Sorry for schitzing out on you like that, GQ. 

MATT
Tracy...

TRACY’S VOICE
Like a cut snake, ay!  It’s just something...

MATT
I just want...

TRACY’S VOICE
...something happened yesterday...

MATT
My phone...

TRACY’S VOICE
...that grossed me out big time.
(Matt’s patience is wearing thin)
But I guess you don't really want to know about it, ay?

MATT
No, I don’t. I just want to get my mobile back, Tracy. Now!

TRACY’S VOICE
OK, OK, here’s the plan.  

14 EXT. CITY STREET. NIGHT

Matt can be seen driving; seemingly talking to himself.

MATT
So I’m meeting her in five minutes to get my phone back...

15 INT. CAB. CITY STREET. NIGHT

Matt, alone in the cab, talks loudly as he drives:

MATT
It’ll take me 40 minutes to get to your place so I’ll only be about...
(Tracy’s phone rings: “I Love You Baby Doll”)
...fifteen minutes late, OK? Sorry, but...Call me when you can...

He reaches out, presses the appropriate icon on the mobile, in its cradle; takes the incoming call.

TRACY’S VOICE
Change of plan, GQ. My ex...

MATT
No, Tracy, no change of plan. I have to...

TRACY’S VOICE
My ex is on his way to meet you to get my phone while I...

MATT
Tracy, I just want my fucking phone back.

TRACY’S VOICE
No need to get your knickers in a knot, GQ. Chill! Hey, I’ve just been talking to your sweetheart. 

MATT
My sweetheart!?

TRACY’S VOICE
Serena. And she obviously loves you...heaps! You’re a lucky man...She’s cool. Super cool! Unlike your Google search history! Really, Matt! Not cool at all!
(A beeping sound intrudes)
Hang on, she’s calling me back.

Tracy hangs up. Matt drives on in shock for a moment, grabs the mobile from its cradle, punches in a phone number; looks in the rear-vision mirror; sees the lights of a car behind him; puts the mobile back in the cradle. A moment later his call is answered. A woman. Her voice concerned:

BEV’S VOICE
Juliet!? Is that you?

MATT
No, it’s me. Matt. Sorry...

BEV’S VOICE(PANICKED)
Why are you calling me in the middle of the...Is Juliet...?

MATT
She’s OK. Sorry to call so late but...I talked to her a few minutes ago and...

BEV’S VOICE
Oh, my God. I’ve been so worried. She swore at me and...so angry... she stormed off and...

MATT
She’s OK.

BEV’S VOICE
I am so worried.

MATT
She’s OK, Bev, but I need to get her phone number.

BEV’S VOICE(INCREDULOUS)
You don’t know her phone number!?

MATT
She changed it.

BEV’S VOICE
Six months ago! Really, Matt! What kind of a father...

MATT
Just give it to me! Please!

BEV’S VOICE
Not if you talk to me like that. I’m not...

MATT
Oh, for fuck’s sake, Bev, don’t play that...

She hangs up. Matt mouths ‘fuck’; takes the mobile out of its cradle, punches in numbers as he drives; his eyes on the rear-vision mirror. He puts the mobile back in its cradle:

SERENA’S VOICE MESSAGE
If you are a client please call during business hours...

Matt terminates the call in frustration; sits for a moment. Tracy’s mobile rings again - “I love you baby doll”. He takes it out of its cradle, holds it to his ear:

BEV’S VOICE
She’s talking about a DNA test. 
(Matt sighs, shakes his head)

BEV’S VOICE
I told her not to be stupid....which was stupid of me...I guess!?

MATT
No comment.

BEV’S VOICE
But what if...?

MATT
She’s 18, Bev. It’s her choice.

BEV’S VOICE
Yes, but…Sorry to hang up on you. 

MATT
It’s OK, I’m used to it. 

BEV’S VOICE
Fuck you.

MATT
Fuck you too. 

An old game they play.

BEV’S VOICE
Fuck you three. 

MATT(SMILES)
She sounded fine. 

16 EXT. ‘GLUTTONS’. NIGHT

Matt approaches the parking lot of late night fast food outlet “Gluttons”; does not notice GBH’s'pimped out' purple sedan parked at the side of the road.

MATT(VOICE OFF)
A bit combative, but…no mention of any tests…how are you? OK?

BEV’S VOICE
OK. (A BEAT) But I’d like a bit more than ‘OK’.

17 INT. CAB. PARKING LOT. “GLUTTONS”

Matt drives into the crowded parking area. YOUNG MEN and WOMEN chat, laugh, flirt; eat hamburgers etc.

MATT 
Don’t we all. (A BEAT) You’re not still seeing Phillip, I take it?

BEV’S VOICE
Seeing!? (LAUGHS) Good in the sack but lacking in the humour department, was Phillip! A woman needs more than...you know?

MATT
I know.

Tracy’s mobile announces the arrival of an incoming call : “I Love You Baby Doll.”

BEV’S VOICE
What do you know?

MATT(SIGHS)
Sorry, Bev, can’t chat now. Gotta go! Incoming...

BEV’S VOICE
Missiles?
(Matt laughs)
You and Sarah still together?

MATT
Serena. Yes, and...Call you back in a minute, OK?

BEV’S VOICE(LAUGHS)
A ‘Matt minute!’

MATT (SMILES)
Promise.

BEV’S VOICE
K.

MATT
Oh, I need Jules’ phone number? Hello! Bev? Fuck! 

Bev has hung up. Tracy’s mobile rings.

18 EXT. PARKING LOT. GLUTTONS. NIGHT

Matt opens the driver’s door; swings his legs out; presses ‘accept’. It is Serena. She laughs:

SERENA'S VOICE
So who's a cradle snatcher, then?

MATT
Sorry! God knows why she called you!?

Matt stands by his cab; wearing one green, one red sock. 

SERENA'S VOICE
She didn’t! I called you! I had this crazy idea...don’t know what got into me...you might...just maybe...this one time...on my birthday…

MATT
I've been trying to call you to explain!

SERENA’S VOICE
No need, Tracy beat you to it.

MATT(WORRIED)
What, did she tell you?

SERENA’S VOICE
The whole story. Lost wallet... damsel in distress...what a ‘kind’ man you are and...all about her own ...‘stuff’.

MATT
Stuff!?

SERENA’S VOICE
‘Men problems’. How you can’t rely on them to do what they say they’re going to do. To which I can relate!
(Matt grimaces)
How they lie all the time. That kind of ‘stuff’. Turns out we have something in common.

MATT
I don’t lie...?

SERENA’S VOICE
Not doing what you say you’re going to do is lying, Matt! 

MATT
Yeah, well, maybe...OK, but right now I have to get my mobile...

SERENA’S VOICE
Have to? Why?
(Matt hesitates)
Why tonight? You could get it back tomorrow.

MATT (evasive)
Thing is...Juliet’s been calling me and...

SERENA'S VOICE
The prodigal daughter!

MATT
...she wants to talk to me. Something important. And I can’t call her back unless...

SERENA’S VOICE
Why can’t you call her on Tracy’s phone? (A BEAT) More important than my birthday?

MATT
No, of course not...fuck...It’s complicated!

SERENA’S VOICE
Simplify it for me, Matt! 
(Matt sighs)
She hates you. That's not complicated. I hated my dad at her age too. Easy. Get over it. 

Tracy’s mobile rings: “I love you Baby Doll.”

MATT
Can we talk about this later? 

SERENA’S VOICE
No, I want to talk about it now. OK? ‘Stuff’.
(Matt grimaces; nods)
I need to get something straight, Matt!  OK? Before I hit the big four oh!?

MATT
OK.

SERENA’S VOICE
Its the night of my birthday, right? My 40th birthday. The night you promised that we would talk about...’stuff’... important ‘stuff’...’stuff you avoid talking about...like its the plague! 

Matt looks at the screen of Tracy’s mobile:

                 mum

MATT
Serena, sweetheart, I...

SERENA'S VOICE
Don't 'sweetheart' me, Matt. 

MATT
...just gotta put you on hold for a moment and…

SERENA’S VOICE
...And you pick up a teen bimbo with no money...(little girl lost voice) “My wallet was stolen, GQ”...and drive her in the opposite direction to my place! And then ‘Little Girl Lost’ calls me from your phone and...

MATT
Please, Serena, if you’d just let me explain...

SERENA’S VOICE
Tonight of all nights! After you promised...

MATT
And I’m going to keep it, but…

Tracy’s mobile stops ringing.

SERENA’S VOICE
…and now you’re off on a wild goose chase with this psycho teenage bimbo whose...wallet has been ‘stolen’! How’s she going to pay you? With a blow job?

MATT
That’s a bit below the belt!

SERENA’S VOICE (LAUGHS)
Yes...sorry...but you deserve it!
(Matt smiles)
And we need to talk about some ‘below the belt’ “stuff” too!

MATT
You want me to have penis reduction surgery?

SERENA’S VOICE(LAUGHS)
No way! ‘Big Brute’

Matt smiles. A taxi pulls up in the background.

SERENA’S VOICE 
You could forget your phone, for tonight! Get it back tomorrow? The next day. Buy a new one. God knows you need one. It’s my birthday...my fucking 40th... and...you promised.

MATT 
Look, I'll have my phone back soon and...

Blue, his shaggy red hair recognizable, gets out of the taxi. Matt’s eyes light up.

MATT
In fact, my phone has just arrived. I'll be on my way in a minute...

Tracy’s phone rings: “I Love You Baby Doll”

Matt waves to Blue. He does not see Matt; walks into Gluttons.

MATT
...and be...30 minutes late. Maybe less. Promise.

SERENA’S VOICE
I just want to know one thing, Matt...

Matt starts to walk towards the Gluttons entrance.

MATT
Sorry, sweet...darling...but...I'm putting you on hold, okay? I should take this call...will call you back in a minute...

Matt presses ‘accept’. Merily is angry and worried. 

MERILY'S VOICE
Darling, have you any idea what time it is?

MATT
Hi Merily, this is not…

Matt realizes he is shoeless; turns back to his cab.

MERILY'S VOICE
Who is this?  

MATT
My name's Matt, Merily. I'm a taxi driver…

MERILY'S VOICE
How do you know my name's Merily?

Matt sits in the driver’s seat. 

MATT
Tracy told me.

MERILY'S VOICE
Who's Tracy?

MATT
Your daughter.

Matt starts to put on his slippers.

MERILY'S VOICE
Tracy! My daughter's name's Britney.

Matt sees GBH’s purple sedan pulling into the parking lot.

MERILY'S VOICE  
Did she tell you it was Tracy?

Matt’s eyes flit from GBH, as he gets out of the sedan, to Blue, at the service counter inside Gluttons.

MERILY'S VOICE  
Hello, hello, have you got Brit with you?

MATT(DISTRACTED)
She's OK, Merily. She left her mobile in my cab and I'm just about to get it back.  

Matt starts to walk towards the entrance to Gluttons, hiding his face as best he can as he approaches GBH.

MERILY'S VOICE
Oh! Then you'll drive her home, right?

MATT 
No, I can't, Merily. I’m sorry. I have to be somewhere. And I'm running late. Can you pick her up?

MERILY'S VOICE
I don't have a car.

MATT
Could you pay for a taxi? I've got another call on hold Merily, so... I'll call you right back in...?

MERILY'S VOICE
No, I want you to…

Matt presses 'call waiting', cuts her off.

MATT
Serena, you there…

Silence. Matt tries, without success, to access 'call waiting'. Matt mouths “Fuck”; prepares to make a call. 

Tracy’s phone rings: “I Love You Baby Doll”!

TRACY'S VOICE
Serena's really pissed off, ay?  

MATT
Yes, and she's going to be more pissed off if I don't get to her place soon.  Blue’s...’

TRACY'S VOICE
It's not what you think, I don't think.

MATT
What's not?

GBH, close to Matt now, has spotted Blue inside, at the service counter and moves to stand, hands on hips, at the entrance. Matt freezes.

TRACY'S VOICE
What Serena's pissed off about.

Blue, hamburger and fries in hand, turns and sees GBH. His face registers his shock as he drops his fast food and takes a flying leap over the service counter and races back into the kitchen area.

MATT(SOTTO VOCE)
Fuck, fuck, fuck...

TRACY’S VOICE
Did you hear what I just said?

MATT
I need to get Juliet's fucking phone number from you. Now. Blue’s just...

TRACY’S VOICE
No need to swear, Matt...

MATT
Sorry, but...just give me Juliet's phone number will you?

TRACY'S VOICE
OK, 'Big Brute!’ Hang on a tick.

MATT
Serena told you...!?

TRACY'S VOICE
Yeah, but she didn't tell me if the 'big' part of it refers to your waist…or your…rooster?

MATT
Juliet's phone number!  

TRACY'S VOICE
Hey, Juliet's cool and...You didn't tell me you were captain of the Roosters...Hang on.

Tracy has put Matt on hold. He tries to make sense of what Tracy has just said. Spider and Rat have joined GBG in their search for Blue. 

Matt looks at his watch, shakes his head; can’t believe this is happening. Tracy comes back online.

TRACY'S VOICE  
It's none of my business, Matt, but you really should know your own daughter's phone number. You got a pen?

As he takes a ball point pen from his pocket:

MATT
How do you know Juliet is 'cool'?

TRACY'S VOICE
I just talked to her on the phone and looked her up on Facebook, and...now we’re friends. (A BEAT) Oh, and she sent me that photo of you.

MATT
Photo? What photo?

TRACY'S VOICE
Hey, you were good looking when you were young. We had a great talk! 

MATT
About?

TRACY'S VOICE
Just girl stuff. Hey, and Serena's cool too, ay? Maybe she can give me some advice?

MATT 
Maybe there's another alternative to 'compulsive' and 'pathological'?

TRACY'S VOICE 
Very funny. You got a pen?

MATT
Yes, fire away.

Matt readies the pen to write it on the back of his hand.

MATT  
By the way, your mother called.

TRACY'S VOICE
My mother called you?

MATT
No, she called you…worried. You should call her and let her know you're OK.  

TRACY'S VOICE
You didn't talk to her, did you? (A BEAT) You did, didn't you? (A BEAT) What did you talk about?

MATT
Just parent stuff. (A BEAT) Britney!?
There is a long moment of silence.

MATT  
Tracy...Britney...A BEAT) Hello…

TRACY'S VOICE
She is such a bitch. I am going to call her. Fuck her!

Tracy hangs up. Matt is left standing, pen hovering above his wrist.

He presses an icon on the mobile, hears his own voice:

MATT'S VOICE
Matt's voice here. Not to be mistaken for…

As he hangs up, makes another call, gets Serena's message bank, his attention is drawn to GBH; close to Matt now.

SERENA’S VOICE MESSAGE
If you are a client please call during business hours...

Matt turns his head away; does not want to be recognized; glimpses Blue moving fast through the parking lot; hiding behind a bush.

Matt shakes his head, can't help but smile; sees:

Blue, scared, talking urgently on his mobile behind a hedge adjacent to the parking lot.
The sound of Tracy’s mobile: “I love You Baby Doll”. Matt answers it.

SERENA’S VOICE
You hung up on me.

MATT
No, I...

SERENA’S VOICE
Your got your phone back?

MATT
No, but I’m bailing, OK? And will be there in thirty minutes, max. Promise.

SERENA'S VOICE
If I had a dollar for every promise...

MATT
Trust me.

SERENA'S VOICE
Mmmm...OK. No more than 30 minutes, OK?

MATT
OK.

Matt hangs up. Almost immediately Tracy’s phone rings.

It is Tracy, in a panic:

TRACY'S VOICE
Matt, can you give Blue a ride?
It's kinda urgent…

MATT
Has he got my phone?

TRACY
No, he was supposed to swing by…

MATT
Fuck, Tracy, I just want my fucking phone back.

TRACY'S VOICE
He's gunna get the shit beaten out of him…

MATT
Not my problem, Tracy! I need Juliet's phone number. Now, Tracy!

Matt hears a low whistle and then a loud whisper.

BLUE(OFF SCREEN)
Hey Matt…

Matt looks around. Blue is crouched by the passenger door of his cab, beckoning him.

MATT
What the…!

Blue opens the door from a crouching position and slides into the passenger seat, his head down, out of view. Matt forgets about Tracy, lowers the mobile.

TRACY'S VOICE
Matt? Matt!

Matt moves fast to his cab, opens the passenger door.

MATT
Out!

Blue, 17, his face covered with freckles, tries to smile.

BLUE
I'm Blue. Tracy's Blue. She said…

MATT
Don't give a fuck whose Blue you are! Out!

BLUE
Bro!

MATT
I'm not your fucking bro, Blue! Out! Get the fuck out of my cab! Now!

Blue gets out reluctantly. Matt walks around to the driver's side, opens the door, drops into the seat, slams the door behind him - drawing the attention of GBH, (talking on his mobile), Spider and Rat up by the entrance to “Gluttons”.

19 INT. CAB. NIGHT

Through the cracked windscreen Matt sees GBH heading towards Blue. Matt turns the ignition on, engages the gears, looks from Blue, frozen in terror, to GBG, Spider and Rat approaching. He looks at his watch; mutters under his breath:

MATT
Run, ya silly fucker!

GBG, Spider and Rat are just ten meters away from Blue, frozen in terror. GBH clenches his fists like a villain in a B-Grade movie.

Matt glances at his watch again; looks out at the frozen terrified figure of Blue, just seconds away from Grievous Bodily Harm.

MATT
Fuck!

END PART # 2

No comments:

Post a Comment